An alphabetical list of taxidermists in the Natural Sciences collection cared for by the Hampshire Cultural Trust.
Bird fancier, taxidermist and greengrocer, with premises in the High Street, Bishops Waltham from c1896 - 1899. He is later listed as being based at Houchin Road/Street. The last entry found in the directories is 1925.
Hairdresser and naturalist, who lived in an area known as The Spain in Petersfield. His premises were based in Chapel Street from c1867-c1875. The directories for 1878 show his home address as The Spain, but he is not listed as having an occupation. He is, however, listed in 1896 and later in 1902 as a hairdresser in Dragon Street.
Allen, George and Son
In 1871 directories they were listed as a firm of photographers. By 1873 George Allen and Son had branched out as photographers and naturalists based in Normandy Street from c1873 until 1878 when they moved premises to the High Street. Their advertisements shows that they also cleaned oil paintings and prints as well as making picture frames to order.
Taxidermist with premises in Cathedral Yard, Winchester 1854.
One of two animal and bird preservers based in Union Road, Landport c1852.
He had a premises at 46 Commercial Road, Landport from c1855. He had probably taken over the shop from Thomas Cook. The business was later moved up the road to number 328 where he was based from c1878-1903. He was a carver, guilder and bird preparer.
Naturalist based at 123 Duke's Road, Portswood, Southampton from c1899-1923.
Barron, Noble William
Bird preserver based in Richard Terrace, Alverstoke, Gosport c1852.
Barrow, T A
Taxidermist based in the High Street, Christchurch.
Based in Hyde Street, Winchester from 1854-c1855
Naturalist and later bird preserver who was based at 6 Swanmore Road, Ryde, Isle of Wight from c1850s-1870s.
Billet, George and Billet, Charles Walter
George Billet was a naturalist and wire worker based at 110 High Street, Southampton from c1878-1907. An early reference made in 1878 describes him as a "sieve, cage etc. maker, wire worker and dealer in foreign birds". The premises were taken over by Charles Walter (?son) who is listed in the directories until 1915.
Bookbinder and bird stuffer based at 8 Strand, Southampton from c1859-1899
Based at Millbrook, Southampton c1890.
"Bird stuffer" with premises at 32 Oxford Street, Southampton c1867.
Brown, Richard V
Bird and animal preserver originally based (c1848) at 161/2 West Street, Southampton before moving to 33 Above Bar c1852.
Animal and bird preserver with premises at 1 Lugley Street, Newport, Isle of Wight c1867.
Careless, George Dyer
Naturalist, based at 52 Arundel Street, Landport (c1890-c1895). He later had premises at 45 Arundel Street (c1899).
Naturalist with premises at 53 Middle Street, Southsea c1880. He is listed in 1890 as being based at 28 Brunswick Road, Southsea.
Edward Chalkley took over the firm after William' Chalkey's death, although he concentrated on the fishing tackle side of the business. The firm remained in The Square, Winchester until 1966.
William Chalkley was a self taught taxidermist, who opened his first premises at 11 Sussex Street, Winchester from c1875. In 1880 he moved to The Square and the firm remained there until long after his death.
Almost opposite his taxidermy shop was the City Museum and, in 1903, he became honorary curator and spent considerable time working on the natural history specimens.He had, over a period of years, amassed and prepared a large collection of Hampshire birds.
After coming to an agreement with Alderman Jacob the collection was bought for the newly formed Winchester College Museum.
At the time it was noted that "Chalkley would probably have to alter some of the cases in order to classify them better". This collection was noted as a special collection in the Museums Journal of 1905, with 153 specimens of Hampshire birds. A catalogue ("List of Hampshire Birds 1863-1900") produced at the time enthused "For the wonderful beauty of this collection, the school have to thank the life-long devotion and poetic imagination of Mr. W Chalkley
The 'grotesque' scenes (below right) were good advertisements for the taxidermist as they demonstrated the skill of the taxidermist in the preparation of small and delicate animals.
Chalkley, William Kelsall, J E, Rev; Munn, Philip W: 1905: The Birds of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Witherby and Co.
…and Mr. Chalkley, the Winchester naturalist received one [Hoopoe] from Fair Oak, near Estleigh , on April 19th, 1890.'
Mr. Chalkley has recorded a very fine specimen [Kite] from Lower Lanham, near Alresford, in January, 1890.' 'Mr. Chalkley, the well-known naturalist of Winchester , informed Mr. Sutton Davies in 1891 that he knew of a specimen [White-Eyed Duck] obtained at Ovington not long before.'
Transcript of interview - 1969: Chalkley, Edward - Hampshire Record Office
'...uncle, who was a taxidermist amongst other things, started the business in The Square. He did a lot of stuffing, birds and all that for them [Winchester Museum]. Uncle had a collection of Hants birds and he [Alderman Jacob came] to an agreement with my uncle that he would buy them for the [Winchester] College and they're now in the College Museum….'
Conacher, Peter Scott
Naturalist based at 1 Glenroy, Somerset Road, Ryde, Isle Of Wight from c1890-c1903.
Colburn, R C
Furrier and taxidermist with premises at 33 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth and Town Hall Avenue, Bournemouth c1891.
Reference: The Hampshire Antiquary and Naturalist, 1892. Extract taken from The Hampshire Independent, January 17, 1891
'An extraordinary freak of nature, an occurrence of unusual interest has taken place at the house of a working man named Hudson….he heard a scratching at the front door, which he opened, and to his surprise found a fine tabby cat there…..The man was much surprised in the morning to find pussy had five little kittens with her, one of them being an extraordinary character. It had eight legs, two tails, two perfect bodies, and only one head. The little stranger is splendidly formed, and pure white, it has been carefully preserved by Mr. R. Colburn, furrier, 33 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, where it may be seen by anyone interested.'
Reference: The Hampshire Antiquary and Naturalist, 1892. Extract taken from The Hampshire Independent, November 7, 1891
'A large bird, a fine specimen of the black-back gull (L. Marinus) [sic] was shot at Bournemouth, on Saturday by Mr. A Lilley, the Warwickshire cricketer. The bird measures five feet six inches from tip to tip of wings, and was in splendid condition. It has been sent to Mr. R C Colburn, taxidermist, Town Hall Avenue, Bournemouth, for preservation, and may be seen by anyone interested in ornithology.'
Cole and Son
Taxidermist , Gun Makers etc., based at 33 Market Place, Devizes, Wiltshire and at 21 Pembroke Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire. The Kelly's Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset (1903) lists Cole and Son at their Portsmouth but not their Wiltshire address, so it is possible that the business started in Portsmouth. By 1915 both addresses were in use.
Animal and bird preserver based at 46 Commercial Road, Landport c1852. By c1855 the premises were used by Francis Artlett.
Animal preserver based at Willsham c1866. Mercer and Crocker's directory for 1871 still lists him at the same location. He preserved a large number of the animals and birds for the Curtis Museum in Alton. Many of these still survive today in the HCCMS collections.
Bird and etc. preserver based in Stockbridge from c1859. He is listed in the 1867 directory as a hairdresser and naturalist.
Bookbinder and naturalist who lived at 1 West Street, New Alresford from c1861 and was still listed there in 1867.
Reference: Sanderson, Isabel: 1981: Dwellings in Alresford
(No 1 West Street) William Curtis, bachelor, aged 43, was the occupier in 1861 when the Census was taken. He was a book binder and naturalist and this included stuffing birds - a popular exhibit under a glass case in the Victorian parlour.
Bird preserver who worked in Lymington c1852-1855. His address is given as Church Lane and Church Street. Kelly's directory for 1855 lists him as a naturalist based in Church Street.
Davis, John Tank
Hairdresser, animal preserver and mail contractor based in the High Street, Bishops Waltham c1867.
Originally listed 1878 as a hairdresser, based in the Hundred, Romsey. Two years later his occupation was "bird stuffer and tobacconist".
Another hairdresser of the same date based in Bell Street, Romsey. He is later listed as a "hairdresser and bird stuffer". The directories of 1896 and 1902 show him to be a hairdresser, still based in Bell Street. Reference: Kelsall, J E, Rev; Munn, Philip W: 1905: The Birds of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Witherby and Co. 'The late Dan Meinertzhagen wrote to the 'Field' in 1891 to record a specimen [of an Eagle Owl] killed at Paultons, near Romsey. He saw it in the shop of Mr Dawkins, the Romsey bird-stuffer and gives the following particulars. The extended wings measured 66 inches, on wing 30 ½ inches and the body 30 inches. It was a male, in winter plumage, had been about the place for a month, and had eaten 5 pheasants, which were kept in a pheasantry.' Reference: The Hampshire Antiquary and Naturalist, 1892. Extract taken from The Hampshire Independent, April 18, 1891 'For some time past the remains of tame pheasants have been discovered at Paultons, Romsey, but the identity of the destroyer was difficult to discover, till a trap was set, and resulted in the capture of a monster specimen of the Horned Eagle Owl, known chiefly in such localities as Norway, Russia and Hungary, but its finding is of rare occurrence in England and France. This specimen was only caught by the toes, and it seems a pity that it was not taken alive, but a stick being used to disable it, broke its back and ended its depredations. It measured five feet from tip to tip of its wing, and was in grand plumage. At present it is in the care of Mr. J. Dawkins, of Romsey, who is setting it up.'
Naturalist based in the High Street, Andover c1867-c1880. There is a barn owl (Bi1994.2.64) (right) in the HCCMS collections.
News cutting - 27.9.1871: Andover Advertiser: reprint of a report of one hundred years ago.
'A FREAK. - One of those curious freaks of nature we have occasionally to chronicle took place at Ludgershall on the 19th inst. It appears that a sow belonging to Mr. John Baiden had on the above day a litter of 12 pigs; one of them being born with two heads joined together, with distinct noses, 3 eyes, 2 ears and 4 legs. The pig lived for 40 hours. It was brought to Mr. Dore, taxidermist, Andover, to be stuffed, and he very kindly permitted us to look at the marvellous formation. He states that there were two perfect tongues and that the thorax of both were quite perfect. He discovered also that it had 5 eyes and not 3 - 2 being in the forehead.'
Bird fancier based at 78 Middle Street, Southsea, c1895-c1907.
Naturalist based in Marlborough Road, Ryde, Isle of Wight c1890-c1903.
"Bird stuffer" with premises at 26 Buckland Street, Landport in 1880.
Bird and animal dealer who traded at 31 St. Mary Street, Southampton from c1920-c1935.
Farr, Elizabeth, Mrs
Naturalist based in Park Street, Shirley, Southampton c1875.
Bird and animal preserver based in Clarence Street, Southsea in 1839.
Based in King Street, Southampton c1829-c1830.
Listed as based in City Road, Winchester in 1881. (Not listed in 1884)
Established his business in 1871 at Verulam House, Bournemouth. (Ref: Herriott, S (ed.) 1968. British Taxidemists - a historical directory. Leicester Museums). Over the years he was listed as a naturalist, a taxidermist and was eventually known as a taxidermist and bird dealer.
In the early years he appears to have moved premises rather frequently, being based at:
Old Christchurch Road (1875)
1 Wellington Terrace (up to c1878)
43 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth (c1878 - c1886)
The Quadrant, Bournemouth (c1886)
Yelverton Road, Bournemouth (c1890)
111 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth (c 1895 - c1903).
Taxidermist based in London Street, Whitchurch from c1903-c1927.
Thomas Harding, son of William and Charlotte, was born in Bermuda in 1831. He appears to have been a toll collector on Bursledon Bridge until at least 1861. He married Sarah, before 1851.
By 1867 he is listed in the Kelly's Directories with other bird and animal preservers, again at Bursledon Bridge; however he doesn't appear in the Southampton or Swanwick listings. According to the baptism records of most of his children, he was described latterly as taxidermist. The 1878 directory has him firmly established as a naturalist in East Street, Fareham. Although no references are made to him after this date in the directories, a biographical note with an example of his work states that he continued at 8 East Street until at least 1891.
George appears to have taken over from Henry Hart at the Wootton Place Premises in Bournemouth where he is listed in 1880 as "a preserver of birds, animals, fishes and reptiles". He went on to work for PD Mallock of Perth in 1900.
A bird dealer who started a business at Bow Place, Christchurch in the 1950's. By 1867 he had moved to Church Street, Christchurch, before taking on premises (c1875) at 10 Wootton Place, Bournemouth.
Hart, William and Son
"Hairdresser and bird stuffer" based in South Street, Havant from c1839-c1880. His main business appears to have been hairdressing as it is under this guise that he is listed more regularly. It is possible that for a short time he ran two businesses as the Post Office Directory for 1875 lists him as a hairdresser with premises in East Street.
Haydon, Frederick William
Naturalist based at 7 Bedford Place, Southampton in 1903.
Naturalist and bird stuffer with premises at 56 Cumberland Street, Portsea from c1875-c1878.
Originally known as a "bird stuffer" in 1855 and later as a taxidermist from c1867-c1890. Charles Handy had premises originally at 6 Clifton Terrace, Manchester Street before moving to 10 Weymouth Terrace, Western Shore Road, Southampton c1875.
Taxidermist based in The Square, Winchester cl896-1899.
Taxidermist and tobacconist with premises at 62 West Street, Havant in 1903.
Taxidermist based in London Street, Andover in 1890. It is thought that C Howard branched out into photography and picture framing with premises at 53 London Street (1890) and later at 81 High Street, Andover (1911).
Bird preserver based at 144 Radcliffe Road, Southampton in the 1930's.
Gilder, picture framer and bird and animal stuffer based at 40A King's Road, Southsea in 1878. The premises are thought to have been on the corner of King's Street and Stone Street.
Jeffrey, Hugh G
Taxidermist with premises at 75 Pyle Street, Newport, Isle of Wight from c1915-1939.
Kersley, Ezekiel Newell
Bird and beast preserver with premises in Church Street from c1828 - c1832.
Originally known as a "bird stuffer" in 1867 and later as a naturalist from c1890-1899. Joseph King was based at Lower Bannister Street, Southampton from c1867 and moved to new premises in Compton Walk c1895.
Based at 2 Lawrence Road, Southsea 1907-8.
Based at 21 Arcade, Boscombe in 1899.
Son (?) of Henry Moreton. Based in the village of Meonstoke from c1890-c1903.
Preserver of birds, fishes etc. from Meonstoke c1855-c1880.
Bird and animal preserver based in Castle Street, Christchurch from c1842-c1844
Naturalist originally based at 257 Commercial Road, Landport c1867, before moving premises to 96 High Street, Portsmouth (cl875-1890).
Bird and animal preserver originally based in Lynchford Road, Farnborough cl890 before moving to new premises in Peabody Road c1895-c1907.
Payne, James T
Based at 55 Middle Street, Southsea, 1878.
Ponchaud, Arthur James
Naturalist who had premises at 183 Albert Road, Southsea c1907-c1915.
Rogers, Henry James
Naturalist based at Easton, Freshwater, Isle Of Wight from c1867-c1899
Rohu, Henry Stewart
Soanes, George Herbert
Taxidermist based at 82 Church Road, Southsea in 1931 and later at 21 Besant Road, Landport from c1935-c1939.
Based at Queen Anne's Building, Bridge Street, Southampton c1907-8
Wire worker, bird cage manufacturer and bird stuffer based at 146 Queen Street, Portsea c1828-1829.
Frank "Bird and animal stuffer" with premises at 85 Valley Road, Southampton c1890-c 1895.
An entomologist based in Lyndhurst c1890-c1895.
"Bird stuffer" based at 5 Strand, Southampton c1855-1859.
Taylor, John William
Naturalist based variously at 213, 215 and 217 Arundel Street, Landport in the 1930's.
Thornback, Frederick Bird dealer with premises at 39 High Street, Eastleigh in the 1920's.
Tucker, lsabelle, Mrs
Taxidermist based at 35 Shirley Road, Freemantle, Southampton in 1939.
"Bird and animal stuffer" at 73 Orchard Lane, Southampton c1903-c 1907.
"Bird stuffer" based at 27 Clarence Street, Landport, from c1844-c1847.
Naturalist etc. based at 52 Hyde Street, Winchester in 1875. By 1880, Mrs. Walters solely is listed at the address.
"Bird stuffer" originally based at 94 High Street, Southampton c1830-c 1844. After this date he is listed in 1847 as an animal preserver and in 1852 as a bird and animal preserver when he was noted as "to the Queen". His business premises from c1847 were at 5 Strand and it is possible that he either sold or passed the business to Charles Taylor, another taxidermist, shortly after his accolade.
Listed in 1839 as a "bird stuffer, a bird and animal preserver" in 1842 and as a "cabinet maker, upholsterer and bird stuffer" in 1847. He was based in Folkestone Place, Winchester from c1839-c1847.
Originally listed as a hairdresser in 1855, by 1878 he had expanded his business to hairdresser, perfumer and bird preserver. He was based at 32 High Street, Lymington.
Taxidermist with premises in Hyde Terrace, Winchester, 1854
Naturalist based at 5 Parchment Street, Winchester from c1904-c1910.
Reference: Kelsall, J E, Rev; Munn, Philip W: 1905: The Birds of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Witherby and Co.
'…four pine grosbecks were received in the flesh by a taxidermist at Great Yarmouth, about March 1st, 1889, 'affirmed to have been shot in the Woolmer Forest, Hampshire', but he believes they were sent in ice from Russia'.
Ashmead and Co
Cooper, J and Sons
Gerrard, Edward and Sons
Gunn, T E
Harwood, Leonard C
Kerrison, E P
King, Joseph and Samuel
Shopland, H T
Spicer, Peter and Son
Vingoe, William Henry