The fine art collection includes an album of one hundred and forty two drawing and watercolours, including images of Gosport and Portchester, produced between 1802-1813 by Captain
Lithophane is an invented word formed from the Greek for stone, litho, and phanes, meaning appearance. The things themselves were first seen at some point after 1827, when a French
Dominating the upper end of the High Street and located close to the Great Hall, the Westgate is one of two surviving fortified gateways in Winchester. The structure shows evidence
Anglo-Saxon art enjoyed a golden age in the century before the Norman Conquest of 1066. Its roots lay at the end of the ninth century, when King Alfred established a programme for
RAF pilot Tom Walls was stationed in Hampshire during World War II, flying from airfields such as Middle Wallop. He had a keen interest in Stone Age archaeology and when airborne
Abbey House is now the official residence of the mayors of Winchester and has been in the ownership of the City of Winchester since 1890 when the house and gardens were purchased
Just to the southwest of the walled Roman town of Silchester is a late Iron Age earthwork. In 1985, for the first time in many years, the adjacent area was ploughed. Searching by a
Fifty years ago, in 1966, an excavation began at Kalis Corner, Kimpton, which proved to be of national importance. The discovery owed much to the landowner, William Flambert, whose
In 2004 Hampshire Museums Service purchased, with the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund grant, an archive of photographs, sketches and documents relating to the Tichborne Trials of