The Plague Monument and the Westgate (Winchester, Hampshire)
Coloured Lithograph by an unknown artist, 1770
This view is from the present Upper High Street, looking down the hill towards the plague Monument and Westgate; the tower of Winchester Cathedral can be seen in the background. This part of Winchester was not heavily developed at the time.
The Plague Monument was erected by the Charitable Society of Natives in 1759 and was rebuilt in 1821 on the site of an earlier memorial to the plague of 1666.