Bell metal mortar
Medieval, 15th century
Found buried in a garden at Kings Worthy, Hampshire, in 1913
This heavy monastic mortar, weighing 48.5 kilos (107lbs), was recorded at the time it was found as being from the Hyde Abbey infirmary, as it was found on land once property of the abbey. It would have been used to prepare herbs and other ingredients for medicines. The exact location of the abbey’s infirmary is currently unknown.