Royal Hampshire Regiment Farewell Parade
Print from a watercolour by Kate Dicker, 1992
This picture shows the Royal Hampshire Regiment marching through Winchester for the last time in 1992.
The Hampshire Regiment was raised in Ireland in 1702 during the war of the Spanish Succession (1701–1719) and was initially known as Meredith’s Regiment but became the 37th foot in 1751. In 1758 the future second battalion of the regiment, the 67th foot, was formed, the first Colonel of the regiment being James Wolfe, later to be General Wolfe of Quebec fame. In 1782 the title ‘North Hampshire Regiment’ was given to the 37th, and ‘South Hampshire Regiment’ to the 67th. It was not until 1881 that the two regiments became the 1st and 2nd battalions of a combined Hampshire Regiment.
The regiment’s nickname the ‘Tigers’ was given to it after 1826 when King George IV authorised the figure of the Royal Tiger in recognition of the regiment’s 21 years active service in India.
In 1944 the regiment was given the Freedom of Entry to the City of Winchester and in 1946 became the ‘Royal’ Hampshire Regiment but in 1992 amalgamated with The Queen’s Regiment. The new regiment, consisting of two battalions, is entitled ‘The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment (Queen’s and Royal Hampshires)’.
The Royal Hampshire Regiment has its own museum in Winchester at Serle’s House, Southgate Street.
Kate Dicker studied at West Sussex College of Design in 1979-80, Camberwell College of Arts, 1980-83 and Winchester School of art in 1992-94 and 2003-04 and is a member The Society of Wood Engravers and The Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers. Kate’s commissions have included the Winchester Health authority, Winchester City Council, and Hampshire County Council Archive and Museum Services.
This picture is copyright of the artist and has been reproduced here with their permission.