Late 17th century
Found during excavations by Winchester Museums Service Archaeology Section in a field just east of Wickham Square (opposite St Nicholas Church) in the mid- to late 1970s
This token was found on the site of Wickham Manor House and was issued by a local merchant Thomas Atkines in 1668. The obverse reads THOMAS ATKINES = HIS HALF PENY, and the reverse OF WICKHAM 1668 = T.E.A. History records that Thomas had three daughters by his wife, Helen, and a son G Atkin(e)s who died in 1690, leaving money to his three siblings in his will. The son did not follow in his father's footsteps as a merchant, but worked in Portsmouth dockyard.